Using SANs and NAS
||Author: W. Curtis Preston|
List Price: $29.95
Our Price: Click to see the latest and low price
Publisher: O'Reilly & Associates (February, 2002)
Sales Rank: 19,566
Average Customer Rating: 4 out of 5
Customer ReviewsRating: 3 out of 5
This books serves as good introduction to SAN and NAS. It covers backup and recovery for SANs very nicely and at appropriate level. As far as NAS is concerned, it skims the topic.
Its a good introduction to various technologies. The details will have to found elsewhere.
Overall review - worth reading it.
Rating: 3 out of 5
Lacks organization, not authoritative
This book provides a high-level overview of SANs and NAS, with occasional and innapropriate plunges into technical detail. It is not suitable as a technical reference; it is somewhat useful as an introduction to these two topics.
Sadly, the title is below the quality level of most O'Rreilly books:
* Many important topics are covered in multiple chapters, making the book hard to use as a reference, e.g., LUN Masking and zoning.
* The quality of the writing is poor. It is also overly colloquial, e.g., when introducing his own term, client-free backups, Preston writes, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
* There is no glossary; the index is very poorly done.
Rating: 5 out of 5
Great book on san / nas concepts
This book is really good at bringing together a lot of different details together having it make sense. It has been a couple of years since I worked on SANs and reading this book really refreshed the concepts for me. W. Curtis Preston's writing style is very easy to follow as he usually adds in insightful side items to break up the book a bit. I was expecting a very well written book as I also read his backup & recovery book which I really enjoyed too. I reccomend this book to anyone who is starting to investigate san or nas solutions or wants to get a good solid starting point with those technologies.
· Storage Area Networks for Dummies
· IP SANS: An Introduction to iSCSI, iFCP, and FCIP Protocols for Storage Area Networks
· Storage Security: Protecting, SANs, NAS and DAS
· The Essential Guide to Storage Area Networks
· Designing Storage Area Networks: A Practical Reference for Implementing Fibre Channel and IP SANs, Second Edition