Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache in 24 Hours
||Author: Julie C. Meloni|
List Price: $29.99
Our Price: Click to see the latest and low price
Publisher: SAMS (11 December, 2002)
Sales Rank: 10,437
Average Customer Rating: 3 out of 5
Customer ReviewsRating: 5 out of 5
Get started FAST!!!
I picked up a number of PHP and MySQL books along with this one and find myself using this one the most. If you already know how to program in another language and want to get up to speed fast on PHP and MySQL this is the book you need. Some issues I ran into I could not find the answer anywhere in other books or on the web, then I grabbed this book as a last resort and wa-la the answer was there. Now this is the first book I look for answers to questions in.
If you just need a little examples of how to do things in PHP and MySQL this book does it.
Rating: 3 out of 5
The Longest Day
I have been a mainframe programmer for 13 years and have done web design for the past year. The following is my experience with this book.
First the good news:
1. I was able to successfully install PHP, Apache & MySQL.
2. I was able to successfully complete all the projects in the book.
3. I published one of my projects on a website.
Now the bad news:
1. There were critical typos in the book--not just captions under the wrong pictures but incorrect code. I spent many hours debugging the PHP code for the projects. The code errors I found were not in the errata on the SAMS website OR on thickbook.com. I sent one code correction to the editors and received an acknowledgement, but I just checked and the code typo is not included in the errata. There are code errors on pp. 245, 406, 417. E-mail me if you are also having problems with the code on those pages as the SAMS people do not seem to be concerned or aware of these errors.
2. The installation of the products did not go as smoothly as I hoped either. The instructions on what to download did not match how the websites now look. There was some missing information. I was able to get it all working only with a lot of trial and error.
This book contained projects that I was interested in learning: address book, storefront, shopping cart. With a little more diligence on the part of the proofreaders and technical editors, this book would have been great and I would have given it 5 stars.
Rating: 1 out of 5
Can't get started - Install doesn't work
I'm fairly new to Linux/Unix but I am no newbie to software. The installation instructions for MySQL on Linux are sketchy and basically say read the man page. If the man page was enough I wouldn't be buying a book. After stumbling thru the install there is no explanation of actually starting the MySQL software. Because I can't seem to get MySQL installed and running, PHP won't configure and install. I'm dead in the water so I don't know if the rest of the book was any good or not, I can't make it that far.
For troubleshooting there are several recommendations for paid support. It looks like the author assumes a broad knowledge of Linux/Unix because the Windows installation instructions are very detailed.
· PHP and MySQL Web Development, Second Edition
· Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours (2nd Edition)
· PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide
· PHP/MySQL Programming for the Absolute Beginner
· PHP and MySQL for Dummies with CDROM