Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
||Author: Barry Gerber|
List Price: $49.99
Our Price: Click to see the latest and low price
Publisher: Sybex (25 September, 2003)
Sales Rank: 10,865
Average Customer Rating: 2.67 out of 5
Customer ReviewsRating: 5 out of 5
Read it and applied it.
I am a network admin for a small company (100 users) that was running Exchange 5.5 on an old server that could not be upgraded. We were also in the middle of a domain migration from NT 4 to 2003, and the old exchange server could not be migrated, as it was the PDC for our old domain. I know what you are thinking, and believe me I was not involved in that.
I used the book to come up with a migration strategy, but had some questions about Public Folder migration that were not addressed in the book. I emailed Barry Gerber (Author) about it, and he responded within 1/2 hour giving me details about the public folder migration. He actually acted as a very valuable resource for me, and his book is informative, although maybe not for someone who is trying to just pass an exam or a complete novice. It is detailed with regards to migration and security, and Barry provides some excellent real-word stories that help understand some of the best practices of top-notch Exchange administrators.
I recommend this book to all who are serious about truly mastering Exchange 2003. I have pulled off the migration with no other books, have implemented an outlook 2003 rollout, and 2003 Outlook Web Access all from this resource, and could not be happier. Neither can my supervisors!
Rating: 2 out of 5
Probably OK for total beginners
I did NOT like this book for many reasons. I bought it because it was one of 3 first books sold on Amazon related to subject. Completed chapter 18 by now
- The book merely covers very basic aspects of MS Exchange. The rest of topics related to networking poorly explained making me think Mr.Gerber not exactly knows what he is writing about :(
- The way book is written makes me feel that Mr.Gerber is trying to sell me one of his MS Exchange projects however I believe it suppose to provide solid material about MS Exchange 2003 and it does not...
- Could not find any info about author's certification, degree or personal info (i believe that is important), some basic info about company - Barry Gerber's experience in IT industry is still a mystery to me...
- About Sybex. This book cannot belong to the "Mastering(tm)" series as it is strictly targeted for people who have no idea about Xchange. I am very disappointed by the fact Sybex was confusing me and I would reconsider purchasing materials published this company :(
- The book could be shorted to about 300 pages with no harm at all, so much stuff not related to Xchange...
On the other side the author is speaking mostly from personal experience. That obviously has positive impact on readers who might have only some basic theoretical knowledge about MS Xchange. The useful part of material is presented in very simplified form with hundreds of screenshots covering most of basics which is also a good point :)
With my best wishes. There is always a place for improvement
Rating: 2 out of 5
There have to be better books than this.
I bought this book because it was one of the first to be published and was available at the time I needed the information necessary to deploy an upgrade to Exchange 2003.
I found the organization of the book to be poor. The most basic requirements were too sparsely convered. There was not enough information on basic setup. There was not enough information on upgrades and migrations. What information there was in these areas; was poorly explained and difficult to understand.
I've not found this book very helpful as a guide to installing and upgrading to Exchange 2003. Perhaps as I migrate and begin to use some of the more advanced features in Exchange 2003 the book will prove to be more helpful. But, for a network admin with five years of Exchange 5.5 experience looking to get his arms around Exchange 2003 before deploying it; this book was highly disappointing.
· Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Administrator's Pocket Consultant
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Administrator's Companion
· Mastering Windows Server 2003
· Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Administrator's Companion
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Administrator's Pocket Consultant